2/10/2014

Novel Style



One of my aims this year was to get back into posting a bit more fashion content on Nana Wintour. Fashion was my first love and makeup didn't really get a look in, until I discovered Mac eyeliner. Anyway, back to fashion. Whenever I head to bookstores, the fashion book selection is one of the first I seek out, so it's hardly surprising I have a collection of fashion reads of my own. Today I thought I'd share with you the best of the bunch-the ones I recommend on a regular basis and the ones I reach for to read again and again..

Influence by Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen-When I think back ten or so years ago I remember how much I loved Mary Kate and Ashley. The movies, the books, even the dolls. Nowadays I'm still just as obsessed with them, but it's their activities in the fashion world that take my fancy. Influence is like a sophisticated scrapbook. There are interviews with the girl's favourite artists and designers, from Karl Lagerfeld to Lauren Hutton. There's also snapshots of the girls most treasured mementoes, some gorgeous editorial shots of each sister and personal interviews that they conducted with one another. If you're a fan of Mary Kate and Ashley then you're bound to love this book. 

Alexander McQueen Savage Beauty-I was always sad this exhibition never traveled to the Southern Hemisphere, but there's no need to fret when this book exists. Savage Beauty was released alongside the exhibition and contains the most stunning images of his designs. I love this dress in particular. There are also his words of wisdom throughout and interviews with those who knew him best, including Sarah Burton. This book would make the perfect gift for a fashionista or fashion design student. Alexander's attention to detail and innovative design was incredible.

Tim Walker Pictures-The best forty pounds I've spent was on this book. I even carried it all over London during the day, that's how determined I was to take it home. As expected it contains many of Tim's finest editorial photographs from many of the Vogue publications. There are also unseen photos, pages from his journals which chart his inspirations and more. This is one of those books you'll find yourself constantly revisiting. There's always something new to see or rediscover. This is definitely not a book you'll want to hide away, keep it out on the coffee table as a point of reference and inspiration for your guests too.

Grace: A Memoir by Grace Coddington-If you've seen The September Issue** then you'll know Grace was really the star of that show, sorry Anna. Anyway, Grace's book is a charming look at her life and times both inside and out of the fashion industry. Her signature illustrations appear throughout as well and there are plenty of the adorable cat ones she is known for. You'll definitely find yourself wanting to pick this up to read again.

The Vogue Factor by Kirstie Clements-This was one of my favourite reads from last year. As former Editor in Chief of Vogue Australia, Kirstie has a fair few stories under her belt. This book isn't too lengthy either so if you want something to read on a plane trip this would be perfect. Like Grace's book this was another fantastic insight into the world of magazines and fashion publishing. 

Man Repeller by Leandra Medine, not pictured-Just because this book is not pictured does not mean I don't love it! It's even been gifted to a few friends of mine recently. Leandra shares her memoirs through outfits and the stories that go alongside them. If you're a fan of her blog you'll be pleased to know these tales are hilarious, just like her posts. Keep an eye out for the Valentino chapter, it's a favourite of mine.


*What fashion books do you love? Let us know your recommendations! x

**If you've not seen The September Issue, cancel your Valentines Day plans and spend the night in with this. Do it.

5 comments:

  1. I'm doing a school project on Mulberry at the minute and I've been reading so many things about Tim Walker, so I might have to pick up this book! *Heads over to Amazon...* Also, can't believe how I only discovered the Man Repeller a few weeks back when you mentioned it on here, but thank you! x

    www.totalmodisch.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did those gorgeous campaigns for them a couple of seasons back didn't he? I loved the ones set in Brighton with the giant icecreams! I'm not sure if those are in this book but they may appear in Storyteller which was released a couple of years ago.

      No worries! I only recently (well, last year) found Man Repeller's blog myself.

      S xo

      Delete
  2. Beautiful Little Picks as ever! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenny and thank you for your help with this post! x

      Delete
  3. I'd really love some good fashion books. Perfect thing for just a bit of light reading :)

    Caitlin | Oceanic Stars

    ReplyDelete